Monday, January 28, 2013

Community Responses on HIV/AIDS and Poverty


                                                                                                     
At village and hamlet level, community initiated strategies and programmes are also present.
Although some villages have not abided, NMSF requires HIV/AIDS to be mainstreamed in community plans. Each hamlet is supposed to form the HIV/AIDS Control Committee of 3 to 4 members chaired by the hamlet chairman. Apart form HIV/AIDS Control Committee, the
villages (and therefore wards) are also required to form Disaster Management Committees (Food and HIV/AIDS). The major role of these committees is to facilitate and provide support to the activities meant to fight HIV/AIDS pandemic and hunger in the area. The grass root committees are extremely useful to NGOs and CBOs because they have been responsible for logistical support, which also provides good access to the target groups.


Majority of the respondents were either not sure
whether such arrangements existed or were not involved at all.


In discussing with Catherine about how she copes with her illness and her plans concerning her children’s education following her husband’s death, She says.



“My husband was a business man and because he had money my deceased sister’s children were 
studying in international school. The fee there is 600,000 shillings for each child. My sister died 
in1998 and we were married to the same husband. Now my husband is dead also and he died with his 
business! When he was alive I did not take part in his plans because he did not want me to get 


involved at all. I have just been a housewife since I married him in 1997. 





We had two children, and 
now that he is dead all seven children depend on me.










But I am already weak with this illness. I have been sick since 2001, but I did not know that I had 
AIDS until after my husband died. I wanted to go and test but my husband would not allow it. He told 
me that if I decide to test for HIV/AIDS without his permission I should also consider packing and 
leaving because he would not consider me his wife again. I was appalled by his reaction but there was 
nothing I could do so I did not test for HIV/AIDS until after he died three months ago.









I don’t have a job or a business that could give me money to keep the children in international school. 
So they will not go to international school next year. But even if they get admission in public school I 
know I will not be able to support them for long because with this illness I know I won’t live for long.



I know that these children will suffer a lot when I die, but there is nothing I can do about that. My 
father in law has been the only person we can depend on. He has been assisting us sometime, 
bringing us food or money, but he is very old and after all he has his own family to look 
after”(Catherine is a widow and mother of 7 at Ludewa village)




                                                                      posted by Kagashe Denis



3 comments:


  1. TAKE NOTE:
    WHAT MAKES FEMALES ABSTAIN FROM SEXUAL INTERCOURSE:


    Major reasons why the females abstained more include the fear of pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections, unequal gender norms which label girls who are sexually active as being promiscuous as well as the traditional norms which do not support premarital sex. These views were reflected in the quotes of two-females and one-male discussants in the 15-19 year age group
    "Having sex with a boy is a problem, you don't know the problem with that boy, you only see the face, and you can't see the internal part of his body. So I think the problem is that after you marry, you send it (a sexually transmitted infection) to your husband, so both husband and wife would be carrying the disease"
    "You won't be disgraced, because if you had sex with someone before you married, and later became a millionaire, the first person you had sex with would be saying this girl, I have had sex with her before; she has become a dog to me"



    POSTED BY JOHN WILLIAM TEKU/BEDCP/101500

    ReplyDelete
  2. ENVIRONMENTAL SYSTEMS IN ECOLOGICAL

    Urie Bronfenbrenner suggested that here are five environmental systems ranging from fine to complex system.
    I. The micro-system
    II. Meso-system
    III. Exo-system
    IV. Macro-system
    V. Chrono-system
    THE MICRO SYSTEM
    It is the immediate environment in which proximal processes operate to produce and sustain development. This is a pattern of activities, social role and interpersonal relations, experienced by a developing child in a given face to face setting with particular physical, social and symbolic features that invite, permit or hinder engagement in sustained interaction.
    The examples of micro systems are the family, school, pear groups and church. Shortly, micro system is the setting in which an individual spends its time where by there is direct interaction.
    MESO-SYSTEMS
    Mesoystems comprises the linkage between two or more setting containing the developing child. The examples of meso-systems are the relation between home, school and peers. In short, we can say that meso-system is the system of Microsystems.
    EXOSYSTEMS
    This comprises the linkage and process taking place between two or more setting at least one of which does not contain the developing child.
    Macro-system
    Comprises of general culture or subculture with particular references beliefs system, body of knowledge, custom, life cycle and opportunity structure; Macro system may be thought as a societal blue print for particular culture or subculture.


    CHRONO-SYSTEM;
    This includes change in characteristics of the person but also of environment in which that person lives.
    For example;
    I. Change over the life course in the family structure;
    II. Change in social-economic structure and
    III. Change in place of residence.

    THANK YOU THAT YOU VISITED TO THIS BLOG.
    SENYA ANNA A. TEKU/BEDCP/101637

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY TO HAVE MY EX-BOYFRIEND BACK________________________________((R.BUCKLER11@GMAIL. COM)),

    ReplyDelete